DAY 2 – CUT T-SHIRT SQUARES – RAG T-SHIRT QUILT TUTORIAL
After all your T-shirts are nice and laundered, start the process of cutting out your T-Shirt squares
Some things to consider:
- I use a Olfa rotary cutter. Plus a self healing Olfa cutting mat. I have one that I use down stairs and in my little craft space.
- Additionally a Quilters Acrylic clear ruler is use a lot of times in cutting out fabric and squaring up edges with my olfa cutter
- Recently I purchased a T-Shirt Transformation clear acrylic guide. I had been using a self diagramed clear plastic acrylic square, with 10, 12, 14 & 16 inch markings. But recently in looking at other people doing T-shirt quilts read upon this tool over at Nancy’s Notions. Ordered mine off of Amazon.
- I used my nice fabric Gingher sizzors to cut the front away from the back side of the shirt. Just went down the side of the shirt in cutting.
Some other things to consider:
- Some of your shirts will have designs on both the front and back. You can decide to use both sides on the front side of your quilt, or have them be back to front on the same quilt, or make separate quilts if you wish
- Where to place your template for cutting. Ohh, this is the hard part!